Risat SAR

The important thing about the Risat-1 sent up a few days back is that the synthetic aperture radar in it is of Israeli origin. However, the SAR on board Risat-2 will be the entirely indigeneous, tho’ a little bulkier than the Israeli item, but not any less effective. But it’ll be adequately miniaturised by the time Risat-3 is up. A five-Risat constellation will provide India, in a couple of years from now, with 24/7 surveillance and other sensor coverage vis a vis China and of the Indian Ocean region, and substantively change the geostrategics, especially with regard to India not being surprised by any Chinese military moves and by way of affording security to South East Asian nations.

About Bharat Karnad

Senior Fellow in National Security Studies at the Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi, he was Member of the (1st) National Security Advisory Board and the Nuclear Doctrine-drafting Group, and author, among other books of, 'Nuclear Weapons and Indian Security: The Realist Foundations of Strategy', 'India's Nuclear Policy' and most recently, 'Why India is Not a Great Power (Yet)'. Educated at the University of California (undergrad and grad), he was Visiting Scholar at Princeton University, University of Pennsylvania, the Shanghai Institutes of International Studies, and Henry L. Stimson Center, Washington, DC.
This entry was posted in Asian geopolitics, Defence Industry, Geopolitics, Great Power imperatives, India's China Policy, India's strategic thinking and policy, Indian Ocean, indian policy -- Israel, Iran and West Asia, Military Acquisitions, Missiles, Nuclear Policy & Strategy, satellites, Strategic Relations with South East Asia & Far East, Technology transfer. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Risat SAR

  1. NK says:

    Bharat sir, my question is on unrelated topic. I know the current UPA is not at all inclined towards testing and proofing our thermonuclear designs. But in your interactions with BJP/NDA leaders, did this topic ever come up? Do they have an open mind towards further testing?

  2. Satyaki says:

    Bharat Sir, you have still recently said that our testing thermonuclear weapons in the future is inevitable (only a matter of time). Is this still the case even if the UPA manages to cling onto power/ some third front like entity replaces the UPA ?

    • The political calculus changes with a third front-type govt, but not if UPA returns to power in 2014.

      • Satyaki says:

        Even if the third front is like in 1990, having communists as outside supporters as well ?
        Also, if nothing changes in the event of a UPA return, we cannot say that testing is inevitable (though I hope we are soon freed from this UPA disaster).

  3. Joydeep Ghosh says:

    @bharat sir

    i think you have made a mistake

    300 kg RISAT 2 sent after 26/11 is of Israeli origin and 1850 kg RISAT 1 sent few days back is of Indian origin.

    Another thing is that if i am not wrong their will be a series of 7 RISAT satellites in total, correct me if i am wrong


  4. Jagdish says:

    Any plans for an integrated space command or is it going to be same old division of assets and duplication of resources, where none get enough?

    • IAF has been pitching for it for many years now, with an AF CINC but no tangible progress yet. There is however a flagrank — Air Marshal’s — post as Assistant Chief of Air Staff (Aerospace) in Air HQrs.

  5. rajulu says:

    is there any possisiblity in such unforeseen circumstances that the u.s can achieve to take back nukes from pakistan securely sir?

    • No. As I have repeatedly written Pakistan fears that while 70% of its nuclear arsenal can be taken out by the United States, the remaining 30% is so well-hidden, they will never be found. In the event Washington is unlikely to risk any preemptive actions.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.