- India’s Rise: Why It’s Not a Great Power (Yet), to be published by Potomac Books, Washington, DC
- Strategic Sellout: Indian-U.S. Nuclear Deal co-authored with P.K. Iyengar, A.N. Prasad, and A. Gopalakrishnan [New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2009]
- India’s Nuclear Policy [Westport, CN, & London: Praeger Security International, 2008; South Asian edition published by Pentagon Press, 2009]
- Nuclear Weapons & Indian Security: The Realist Foundations of Strategy, 2nd edition [New Delhi, etc: Macmillan India, 2005]
- Nuclear Weapons & Indian Security: The Realist Foundations of Strategy [New Delhi, etc: Macmillan India, 2002]
- Future Imperilled: India’s Security in the 1990s and Beyond [New Delhi: Viking Penguin, 1994], author-editor
, September 2013.
Some of the books are available at the usual sites, such as, www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com, and all of the above books are available at www.vedamsbooks.in (which has a comprehensive listing of Indian and foreign book sellers).
Chapters in international and national anthologies:
‘Strategic and Nuclear Balancing of China in the Asia-Pacific’ in Major General ( Retd) Y.K. Gera, ed., Peace and Stability in Asia-Pacific Region: Assessment of the Security Architecture [New Delhi: USI and Vij Books, 2012]
- ‘Pre-empting and Preventing Nuclear Terrorism’ in Maroof Raza (ed.), Confronting Terrorism [New Delhi: Viking-Penguin, 2009], pp. 154-178.
- ’Security and Sovereignty’ in Hans Gunter Brauch, Ursula Oswald Spring, P.H. Liotta, et al, (eds.), Globalization and Environmental Challenges: Reconceptualizing Security in the 21st Century , Vol. 3/Hexagon Series on Human and Environmental Security and Peace [Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: Verlag Springer, 2008], pp. 421-430.
- ‘South Asia: The Irrelevance of Classical Nuclear Deterrence Theory’ in E. Sridharan (ed.), The India-Pakistan Nuclear Relationship: Theories of Deterrence and International Relations [New Delhi & Abingdon, UK: Routledge, 2007], pp. 83-128
- ‘The India-United States Rapprocehement, the Nuclear Deal, and Indian National Interest’ in Prakash Nanda (ed.), Rising India: Friends and Foes [New Delhi & Olympia Fields, IL: Lancer, 2007], pp. 229-263.
- ‘Shaping the Indian Special Forces into a Strategic Asset’ in Lt. Gen. Vijai Oberoi (ed.) Special Forces: Doctrine, Structures and Employment Acros the Spectrum of Conflict in the Indian Context [Centre for Land Warfare Studies & Knowledge World, 2006], pp. 235-248
- ’The Indian Nuclear Paradigm’ in Imtiaz Alam (ed.), Security and Nuclear Stabilisation in South Asia’, Sapana: South Asian Studies, Volume VII [Lahore: Free Media Foundation, 2006], pp.104-129.
- ‘Firming up the Critical Capability Triad: Strategic Muscle, Sub-Conventional Punch, and IT-enabled Network Centricity and Electro-Magnetic Warfare Clout’ in Lt. Gen. Vijai Oberoi, (ed.), Army 2020: Shape, Size, Structure and General Doctrine for Emerging Challenges [ Centre for Land Warfare Studies and Knowledge World, 2005], pp. 235-254.
- ’India’s Future Plans and Defence Requirements’ in N.S. Sisodia & C. Uday Bhaskar (eds.), Emerging India: Security and Foreign Policy Perspectives’[ New Delhi: Institute for Defence Studies & Aanlyses & Promilla & Co., Publishers, 2005], pp. 61-76.
- ‘Minorities, Terrorism, and Democratic Politics; in Current Domestic Policy Challenges and Prospects for South Asia [Islamabad: Institute of Regional Studies, 2006], pp 145-170
- ‘Demilitarization of LoC: Negative Strategic Ramifications’ in P.M. Kamath (ed.), India-Pakistan Relations: Courting Peace from the Corridors of War [New delhi: VPM's Centre for International Studies, Mumbai, & Romilla & Co., 2005], pp.269-277.
- ‘India’s Force Planning Imperative: The Thermonuclear Option’ in D.R. Sardesai & Raju G. C. Thomas, (eds.), Nuclear India in the Twenty-First Century [New York: Palgrave, 2002], pp. 105-138.
- ‘India’s Place in the World: Democratic Peace, Raison d’etat, and Cooperative Security’ in M.L. Sondhi (ed.), Democratic Peace: The Foreign Policy Implications [New Delhi: Indian Council of Social Science Research & Har-Ananad Publications, 2000], pp.11-50.
- ‘India’s Posture’ in M.L. Sondhi (ed.), Nuclear Weapons and India’s National Security [New Delhi: Indian Council of Social Science Research & Har-Anand Publications, 2000], pp. 111-113.
- ‘A Thermonuclear Deterrent’ in Amitabh Mattoo (ed.), India’s Nuclear Deterrent: Pokhran II and Beyond [New Delhi: Har-Anand Publications, 1999], pp. 108-149.